Unfortunately, having car problems just comes with the territory when it comes to owning a vehicle; these can be hard to predict and avoid. That is why being prepared is so important. Anyone who has owned a car currently, or in the past, has had that unfortunate and sometimes scary situation where the car battery has died. And although jumper cables are great in situations like this, if you are out in the country or anywhere away from civilization they won’t do much good; as you need someone else with another vehicle to jump-start your car or truck battery for you.
In cases like this, it really can be an alarming situation, and if it’s in extreme weather conditions it can be even worse. This is where portable jump starters can come in handy, as they use a battery with cables attached that can jumpstart your car battery when needed. These portable jumpers come in all shapes and sizes, and some are more durable or heavier than others.
There are many benefits to having a portable car charger stored in your trunk or truck bed, and there are few things worse than the gut-wrenching feeling of turning your key in the ignition and having your car or truck not start. Everyone has been through this, and all you can do is hope to get someone on the phone that can come and bail you out, or wait for another car to drive by and hope that they are nice enough to help you out of this unfortunate situation.
Owning a portable jump starter will ensure that you do not need the assistance of anyone else to jump-start your car and get you back on the road. It’s as easy as simply attaching the jump starter to your car battery and then starting your car. They are easy to use and can be used virtually anywhere; with the exception of some high-duty ones that require a power source to be plugged into.
Portable jump starters are often times lightweight and can easily be transported without much effort on your part. However, it should be noted that when you are using a jump starter that is battery-powered, you will want to make sure that it is charged before any long trip or drive. In the following article, we will go over 5 amazing choices for a portable battery jumper that uses lithium-ion batteries to power them.
Table of Contents
- List of The Best Lithium-Ion Jump Starters
- Final Verdict on Choosing The Best Lithium-Ion Jump Starters
List of The Best Lithium-Ion Jump Starters
1. Beatit G18 PRO QDSP 2000Amp
- One of the most powerful battery jump starters on the market, while being compact with a peak of 2000 Amps
- Includes a dual USB output and 10W wireless charge with the power to deliver 4-9 charges to and iPhone X, 5 charges for a Galaxy S9; recharges in 6 hours
- Features longer jumper cables to make reaching the car battery easier and more convenient
- Included in the box of the Beatit jump-starting kit is: G18 jump starter, jumper cables, USB cable, user manual, wall charger, and a high-quality durable carrying case
- The Beatit G18 PRO QDSP 2000Amp is able to jump-start a flat battery for up to 30 times on a single charge
- Beatit has solved the issue that a lot of mobile car jumpers had with the cables being too short.
- Extremely strong and durable, the advanced lithium-ion battery chip quick discharge start power technology makes it fast and easy to jump-start a battery, even in extreme cold and heat
- Built for a quick and safe jump-start, the integrated voltmeter reads the battery voltage for enhanced diagnostics in order to prevent short circuit
There are very few cons associated with the Beatit G18 PRO QDSP 2000Amp jump-starting kit. However, if you are traveling it might be worth it to look into having another charging kit because this one only has enough power output to charge devices that require up to 19 volts, as this one only goes up to 12 volts.
2. Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700
- 1700 peak amps, with 425 cranking amps and features the Clore PROFORMER battery technology
- Industrial-grade clamps attached to 46″ cable leads
- Built-in charger with automatic charging capabilities and a voltmeter provides the charging status of onboard battery
- Includes a 1-year limited warranty
- 12VDC outlet to power accessories
- This jumper has long cables, which really comes in handy for those situations where you can’t move around as much as you would like to in order to jump-start your car or truck.
- Transportation is easy with the Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700, even though it can be heavy at times, as it weighs 18 pounds.
- Very easy to store and use, and will get you out of a bind in a pinch
- Although this is a great addition to have in your car or truck, there are a few cons that we have found. Nothing major, but they are worth noting.
- There is no digital or backlit display. Even though it has an easy to read battery test gauge, this would be a nice feature to add in the future.
- As stated above, there is no on/off switch so you will want to make sure that you store the cables properly to avoid any type of sparking
- There is little in the way of safety features, and we would like to see some added in the future. When you are working with this type of tool, safety is important and there are little features in that regard.
3. NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB50 Jump Starter
There is a multitude of car battery starters on the market, and the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB50 Jump Starter stands out as one of the best available. Despite being completely portable, this car battery charger is a very powerful device that can deliver up to 7,000 joules to dead batteries.
It is a very efficient tool that works well with both diesel and gas-powered engines up to 6.0L. This includes, but is not limited to: boats, cars, and even lawnmower engines. Although appearing small at first glance, this is a very powerful device; delivering up to 1500 amps. When fully charged, this translates to 26 jump starts.
It features a spark-proof technology so you can rest easy knowing that it is very safe to use; this ensures that you can connect your battery to it in the right way without worrying about any safety hazards occurring. Another impressive safety feature is the ultra-bright flashlight that comes with the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB50 Jump Starter. It is very useful during emergency situations, and if you are using this tool at night.
- Weighs 1.65 pounds
, and measures 7.7 x 3.4 x 1.9 inches
- This 1000-amp portable lithium car battery jump starter pack can be used up to 26 times on a single charge
- With the mistake-proof design, safely connect to any 12-volt automotive car battery
- 100 lumen LED flashlight with multiple modes
- Recharges USB devices like smartphones and tablets
- Spark-proof connections and reverse polarity detection
- If for some reason, you manage to connect the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB50 Jump Starter incorrectly, it will be able to detect this warn you; using the detailed status indicators on the device
- This is easy to use and safe, with a built-in reverse polarity and spark-proof technology so you don’t need to worry about any safety hazards when using it
- The well-built cables are flexible which prevent them from overheating or melting, and it utilizes tools that remove any chance of connection errors prior to charging
- It can also be used to charge mobile devices, such as smartphones, MP3 players, smartwatches, and tablets.
- Can be recharged using a USB cable, or a 12V car charger, and the built-in USB port can power all of your USB devices, such as smartphones and tablets
There are very few cons to speak of with the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB50 Jump Starter, aside from the design of the device.
- While it is very durable, there are a few changes that could have been made, but this charger does exactly what it was designed to do.
- The user manual was a little hard to read, and could be more user-friendly, and there is no carrying case
- Lack of equipment; there is no AC wall socket charger
4. TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Jump Starter
We’ve all been in that unfortunate and ultimately embarrassing situation: your car is failing to start, and you have to ask a complete stranger for help with jump-starting the car battery. A high-grade portable jump starter like the TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Jump Starter will ensure that you never have to go through a situation like this again. This jump starter comes with a carrying case and includes multiple attachments.
- A capacity of 18000mAh, and a weight of 1.16 pounds with dimensions of 6.3 x 3 x 1.6 inches
- Amperage of 800 A, 12 volts maximum power output, and a lithium-ion battery is required for use
- A soft rubber surface with upgraded clamps, and made of fire-resistant materials
- Can last up to 5 hours on a single charge, and can still operate in temperatures from -20C to +60C
- A female cigarette lighter adapter is attached to the device
- An input of 15V/1A, with an output of 12V/10A
- There are many safety features that are implemented with the TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Jump Starter, such as advanced intelligent clamps and a lithium battery. With additional protection against overload, reverse polarity, and short circuit provided.
- The starter is very compact, making it easier to haul around with you, and even though it is compact it has a very large capacity. One charge is enough to get you going again, and get your vehicle moving
- Included in this kit is a cigarette lighter adapter which makes it possible to charge the car vacuum cleaner, compressor, and video recorders
- In addition to charging vehicle batteries, this starter will also charge small electronics and has the functionality of a flashlight if you need it at night.
- A 2-year warranty is provided, and the manufacturer has an excellent reputation for customer service.
- The warranty policy can be a little misleading; as the warranty card specifies a time period of 6 months. This means that in the first 6 months, you can exchange the starter. That said, technical support is provided for up to two years after purchase
- Various devices may have different capacities
- The effect that you receive from charging the battery may decrease after a long period of time
5. TENKER 600A 14000mAh Jump Starter
- Features a very large capacity, at 14000mAh while maintaining a very compact design
- Advanced safety protection with dual USB outputs
- Output voltage of 12V, with a USB input type C at 5V
- A starting current of 250A with a peak current of 600A
- The TENKER 600A 14000mAh Jump Starter features a lot of power in a compact design that is both sleek and lightweight
- Considering how compact it is, for the most part, it delivers more than enough electrical current
- In addition to charging your car or truck battery, it has the capabilities of charging other devices such as smartphones and tablets
- Includes a very useful emergency LED flashlight in case you are stranded out in the middle of nowhere at night
- Tenker has implemented various electrical safety mechanisms that make this portable jump starter easy and safe to use
- Can charge batteries for various types of vehicles, such as cars, snowmobiles, motorbikes, watercraft, and even lawnmowers
- The jumper cables are not made of the highest quality, and at times they can seem to be flimsy when using
- Considering its technical specifications, it can run a little on the pricey side
- Although one of the most attractive features about this jump starter is its compact size, it is also easier to lose than other jump starters that are bigger and heavier
Final Verdict on Choosing The Best Lithium-Ion Jump Starters
All of the above mentioned portable car jumpers or chargers are very good products and will get you out of a bind when needed. While some are better suited for different situations, they are all very versatile and can be used in a wide variety of situations that you may find yourself in. All of which are easy to store, and can fit in even the smallest of trunks or truck beds.
Choosing the best one for you and your lifestyle boils down to personal preference of course, but the one that stands out above all the rest for us as relates to being well-rounded with few cons and multiple pros would be the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 Jump Starter. We love all of the safety features that are included with this one, and the fact that it houses so much power in such a compact design was a huge plus. We have never had any real issues when using this, and use the media charging and light features often.
That said, there is no reason that you won’t fall in love with the other products on this list, as they are all excellent products from companies with good reputations and are all worth looking into for a portable car jump starter to have on hand.