What is Car Polishing?
Car polish refers to a product which is used to eliminate swirls, dirt, scratches, oxidation and other imperfections. Unlike car coatings or wax that works as a shield to protect your car’s paintwork against external elements. Car polish is designed to maintain your paintwork and enhance its appearance for years. Car polishing can either be done by a machine or by hand. Some heavy-duty machines are great or best car polishing. However, you may prefer to polish your car by hand if you want to save time and achieve a greater detailed polishing job.
Benefits of Car polishing
1. Extends the lifespan of the Paintwork
Your car is usually exposed to external elements that can damage its paint job. The best way to maintain your car’s paint job and extend its lifespan is by polishing your car to remove dirt which can not be washed away normally. Also, Car polishing helps eradicate oxidized paintwork as well as condition paintwork. Which makes it resistant to peeling, cracking, and drying.
2. Car polishing Reveals New Paint Layer
Do you want your black car to look new again? Then you should use the best Polisher for black cars. The benefit of using the best car polish is that it helps to scrape off the top layer of paint from your car. As a result, when you polish your car it goes a long way in revealing the new paint layer.
3. Reduces the Frequency of the Car Wash
It is normal for your car to get dirty especially when you use it regularly. When this happens washing your car is the first thing that most car owners will opt for. However, if you don’t like washing your car all the time. You can choose to wax and polish your car. This will help prevent the dirt that sticks to your car, thus reducing the frequency of the car wash.
4. Makes the Car Glossy and Shiny
Another benefit of car polishing is that it helps to keep your car glossy and shiny. What this means is that you will have a car that is as beautiful as it was when it was first bought.
5. Improve your vehicle’s resale value
Reports show that a car with a glossy paint job usually fetches a higher resale value than one which is not maintained regularly. If a car has a good paint job, it shows that the car is of high quality.
6. Car Polishing Get Rid of Scratches
It doesn’t matter how well you try to take care of your car. It will likely get scratches at one point in its life span. Some motorists out there are not as careful as you, so they might end up scratching your pricey car at the car park or while driving on the road. If this unfortunate incident happens, you can use the best dual action polisher for cars to eliminate the scratches on your car body.
7. Correct Paint Defects
Your car may have botched up paint job leading to defects such as swirl marks, paint peels, uneven coating, and more. The good thing is that you can use car polish to correct these paint defects. When you use the polisher for a car, it works by evening up the paint job as well as making the surface look smooth.
8. Hide Spots
First of all, it is better to use the best car wax to protect the car paint. However, if Your car may have stubborn spots on the paintwork which don’t go away. For you to get rid of these spots it may require your car to undergo an expensive paint job. However, if you want to save money, you can use a paint polisher to conceal the hidden spots which help improve the appearance of your car.
How to Polish a Car by Hand – Car Polish Tips
Now we will discuss, how to polish a car by hand or machine in detail. So, First Let’s have a look at some of the car polish tips and precautions to get the most out of it.
- Park your car in the shade before you start polishing it. The good thing about parking your car in the shade is that it prevents the soapy water from drying into the paint job. In case this happens, the paintwork will dull down making polishing your car difficult.
- The first step of polishing your car is to wash it. Spray water all over the car to prepare it for handwashing. Use the right cleaner and soap for the parts you plan to wash. Start washing from the top and move to the bottom as you rinse your car using a hose. Ensure that you properly rinse the bottom part of the car including the wheels to ensure you remove all the dirt and mud that is stuck onto it.
- Ensure that your car is parked on gravel or pavement before you start detailing it. If you park your car on grass or dirt, it may accumulate mud after you finish washing it.
- Choose the right compound and pad for your car especially the black car. Usually, dark colored cars are vulnerable to swirling when it is polished. Which is why you must use a softer compound and pad if the car’s color is black. However, you can aggressive compounds and pads if you are polishing a light-colored vehicle.
- You should not polish your car frequently because it can damage the paint job. Polishing your car scrapes off a small layer of paint every time. This means that if you polish it too often it may wear down the paint.
- It can be messy to polish your car especially if you use a buffer. This is why you must ensure there is nothing around your car that could be sprayed with polish. Make sure that kids and pets are far from the area you will be working from.
Common Mistakes to Avoid For Best Car Polishing Job
Polishing your car can extend the lifespan of its paintwork and enhance its beauty. But if you use the wrong techniques while polishing your vehicle, it can result in costly damage to your paintwork. The following are the common mistakes you should avoid while polishing your car to get better results.
- Starting to polish your car without cleaning it beforehand
- Setting the RPM Speed too high
- Using the wrong cutting compound or buffing pad
- Buffing one spet for too long or too hard
- Failing to use tape to mask off your car’s plastic
- Using a dirty buffing pad
FAQs About Car Polishing
What exactly is Car Detailing?
Car detailing refers to the performance of vigorous cleaning, waxing, and polishing of the vehicle to make it show quality. You may perform detailing of your car if you want to maintain its showroom appeal and increase its resale value.
What is the Difference between Waxing and Polishing?
While waxing is designed to protect your vehicle’s paint job against external elements such as UV rays and rain. Polishing helps to bring the gloss out of your car. You may need a car polish if it starts to show signs of wear and imperfections such as scratches, lines, and marks. The good thing about car polish is that it helps to correct these small imperfections, smoothing the surface which makes the marks almost invisible.
How do I Polish my Car?
It takes time and patience to polish your car by hand. You can start by washing your car thoroughly with soap and water then rinse it off using a hosepipe. From there, apply car polish to a soft cloth then rub it over the car in a circular motion. Make sure you continue with this circular motion until the polish disappears. For a complete detailing, you can finish off with sealant and wax.
How often should I Polish My Car?
It is recommended that you do a thorough car detailing twice per year. This includes claying, sealing and polishing your car. Doing this will help to keep the car’s paint shiny and protected against the weather’s external element. However, you should wash your car every month and wax it after three months.
Grooming your car makes you more confident and reflects your personality. And we hope this guide will help you to understand, how to polish your car nicely like a professional. Please leave your feedback with us to improve it for a better user experience. If you are looking for the best compound or polish for a car. You can choose from top brands which include Meguiar’s, Chemical Guys, and Car Guys as well as the review based top products.