A lot goes into making a car interesting, comfortable, and generally fun to use. Audio and entertainment systems are one of these things. Like technology, these systems evolve constantly, adding new improvements and introducing fresh trends. As time goes by things change positively, favouring motorists, and as new car models are introduced to the market, these upgrades are fitted in them.
Car audio and entertainment systems have come a long way compared to what it was a few years back. The days when only AM radio frequencies were used in the 1950s then from there it progressed to FM waves, and it was wheels up until today.
The whole idea of audio and entertainment systems is aimed at improving driver experience and providing great pleasure. Let us dive into some of these upgrades and trends causing a lot of excitement all around and all there is to know about them.
Table of Contents
- Current Trends In Car Audio
- Tips On How To Upgrade Your Audio Systems
- The Benefits of In-Car Entertainment
- New Technology Trends Shaping The Future Of Car Entertainment
Current Trends In Car Audio
There are numerous trends that continue to be invented whereas there are those that have existed in the markets for years, and only improved.
- Car stereo; This gadget is one of the inventions that were used in the past and is still present today but in a better version. Not only did it play what was on the radio, but it also had other functions like playing records, DVDs, cassettes, and CDs. The new and improved version does not play any of these except the FM radio.
- Speakers, subwoofers, and amplifiers; These three work together to provide quality audio solutions when used in cars. Speakers and the subs give out sound/audio and the amplifier allows the user to set it to the preferred quality. They have also existed for a long time, they just keep getting better with time.
- Satellite Navigation systems; Are devices that with the help of global navigation satellite systems, work out the location of each unit and suggest routes and directions to motorists. With the updates made over the years, drivers can get accurate navigation directions, time information, locations, weather, mapping, and much-needed information about nearby amenities like restaurants.
- Audio visual; This trend offers a new way of multitasking in the car without risking the driver’s life; some of them are; video conferencing and streaming and live broadcasting. The screen is also used during navigation.
- Voice command functions: This trend comes in handy when the driver needs to do something within the car without moving about and getting distracted from the road. Once the fitted technology recognises their voice then all the motorist has to do is say the request, and it will do it for them. This function improves every day, for it is convenient and ensures driver safety. All these are possible because it comprises intuitive controls and driver assistance technology. More car manufacturing companies have adopted this trend because it has become a necessity in any vehicle.
- Connectivity features: As we mentioned earlier, technological advances influence the manufacture of pretty much anything today, and cars are no different. The widespread use of the internet is also needed in the car thus connectivity. Some of these features are smartphone integration, Bluetooth, and wifi. All these things allow the driver and passengers to do some audio streaming, hands-free calling, music video streaming, access to entertainment apps, and more. All these increase the convenience and functionality of the audio systems.
Tips On How To Upgrade Your Audio Systems
Car owners understand that there is no definite ending to the upgrades one can make to their vehicles generally because things keep evolving at a very high rate. So you might find yourself making changes to the sound system and throughout your car.
Once you decide to upgrade your car’s audio systems, there is a lot to consider even before you kickstart this process. A few things to think about before and during the upgrade of your audio system are;
Your Car Model
Get to know your vehicle more and research all about its inbuilt sound system. Understand how it is operated, which will open your mind to much more. You might have an old model, and you might need to decide if you will do a simple update or replace the whole audio system. In order for this to work, you have to know how they will fit together with the new system.
On the other hand, you have a new model that has some of the upgrades you want but needs to go the extra mile and include subs and an amplifier.
This is very crucial because nobody likes spending money on something that is not compatible with what they want, thus the need to properly understand the mechanics of your new car.
With the ever-changing technology, you will need to do a lot of research beforehand. This is one of the things that many people don’t find worth doing, but it holds water if we are looking for accurate and complete information. As you may not know everything about your car, researching will open your mind to more than what you see with the naked eye.
Doing this will also help you know all the new trends in the market and decide what is suitable, plus choose according to your preferences. You will also know where to get the best quality and, simultaneously, read the reviews – see what previous customers say about their experience or products.
Now that you have gotten to know your car and done some good old research, you have the tools to help you structure the idea of what you want your audio system to look like. Imagine going from one store to another, trying to compare products, collecting data, and then analyzing everything before making a decision; it is cumbersome.
Research fastens the decision-making process, and this helps avoid time-wasting searching for the right equipment while saving you money you would likely spend on miscellaneous shopping.
You already know what you are looking for and where to shop, depending on your preferences. This will give you an easy time with your vendor and make your final decision without a hassle.
There are many manufacturers of audio systems, and similarly to every market, quality and advancements vary. After deciding what you want to work on in your car, the next step is to establish if your budget supports the equipment you need to upgrade. The higher the budget, the better the products you will get for your car.
Some of the reputable companies known for this are; Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, et al. The process becomes easier once you identify what you need for your project and where to go shopping.
Installation Of Your Audio System
If you are not tech-savvy or knowledgeable in the mechanical field, it is better to hire someone who is. You will need a mechanic, an electrician, and a sound technician. This will give you a better installation process than when you do it yourself, and you get to supervise everything. The components that might require special attention are;
These don’t usually come installed in the car, so they must be strategic while placing them around the vehicle. The sound technician will recommend the best places for this, considering the positions where people sit and still give the best sound quality.
If you want to tune things up and get the best entertainment experience while in your car, amplifiers will do the job. These also require to be installed in a place that is accessible and easy to operate because you might need to do some tweaking often.
- Extra car speakers
Car manufacturers usually fit them with a minimal number of speakers, so one might need to add a few more to enhance their sound experience and for those they might travel with. The placement of any additional speakers should be well thought out, so new points will need to be forged; thus, more time will be spent on this.
You might want to involve a sound technician for advice on where to install them. The speakers should not be irritating or too loud for you and your passengers.
- Connectivity features
Thanks to the new inventions, many cars now come with multiple connectivity features. And now, you don’t have to worry about internet connectivity in your vehicle. However, there is a lot that goes into Wi-Fi installation and other connectivity features like Bluetooth and smartphone integration.
The most crucial thing in this is to get the right people to help you transition into your new audio system, and it should last you a long time.
The Benefits of In-Car Entertainment
There is a myriad of perks that come with an excellent sound system in a car. And the best part is that it benefits the driver and other passengers who board it. Installing a new audio system in your vehicle is mainly for entertainment purposes, but below are a few more benefits you could get out of it.
- Enhanced focus for the driver as a result of sound localization
- Improved sound location for those with hearing impairment
- Capacity to multitask because of sound isolation features
- Improved input in low-light situations
- Enhanced situational awareness
- Ability to respond and react to situations
- There is no need to take your eyes off the road to check display prompts
Additionally, you get to enjoy other personal benefits such as;
Creation Of Memories
Whenever you are traveling, whether you are alone or with family and friends, it is always a good idea to have something to keep everyone entertained. Especially if your car is fitted with a dash camera facing the inside, you could document every enjoyable moment inside your car.
Long drives can be dull without music or something to watch or read. However, from the list of your tethered systems to what the embedded features have to offer, both you and your passengers can get entertained while creating fun memories together. As such, even the drives become something to look forward to!
Relaxes The Mind
Every car owner considers it their home away from home, a sanctuary, a place where you can have your privacy and be yourself. Some days are stressful in the evening, and the feeling of just driving off listening to some music while singing along is soothing. Even for a few hours or minutes, it relaxes you and helps release the tension of that day.
Young people can throw small outdoor parties using the sound system in their cars or just a tiny picnic date, listening to some jazz. Generally, it is always a good idea to upgrade your car’s audio system for whatever reason or fantasy a driver might have.
New Technology Trends Shaping The Future Of Car Entertainment
AI-powered technology is one of the main trends taking over all manufacturing and information technology aspects. This further enhances the car entertainment industry by opening up more possibilities, like the self-driving car that has recently been developed.
Several functionality improvements are brought about by AI technology, they aid in coming up with car new models, and connectivity is now very efficient and fast.
Today, you can shop in your car, where e-commerce applications are installed into the cars’ audio-visual systems. This enables clients to browse through what is on sale and shop while in transit, like making a reservation for a dinner date or paying for parking fees.
There are no limitations when it comes to the future of technology because the innovations keep getting bigger and better.
Technology advancements have significantly contributed to helping manufacturers produce better and improved gadgets to install in cars. Through these features, car companies can make safer cars with many features that meet their market demand.
With new car models being released now and then, so are better entertainment features and upgrades in different parts that are more appealing to customers. These upgrades are not just a luxury. Each is meant to serve a different purpose.