While you might consider yourself the best off-road driver, being stuck in the mud or a ditch can still be a possibility. The chances that you will be able to access a towing company when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere while chasing the adventures that life has to offer are minimal. This necessitates the need for Smittybilt winches that will ensure that you can get yourself out of such predicaments. Take a quick look at the Smittybilt winches review below to understand the difference between Smittybilt XRC vs x20 winches and determine which one will work best for your needs.
Table of Contents
- Smittybilt XRC vs x20 Winches Review
- Factors to Consider When Selecting a Winch
- Final Words
Where are Smittybilt winches made?
Smittybilt is a famous company and well discovered in the off-roading industry. The Smittybilt is known for its high-performance winches that go with pocket-friendly prices with a variety you can choose from. The company offers several options, and since it may be your first time in the winch industry. It may be difficult for you to tell the kind of a winch that can suit your operations. This is the reason why we would like you to take your moment and go through our Smittybilt winches reviews with an in-depth explanation of each type of the best winches available.
Smittybilt XRC vs x20 Winches Review
Smittybilt x20 Winches
The Smittybilt X20 winch comes with a few special features that will ensure, you will not have to worry about getting yourself out of ditches and muddy tracks while driving off-road. This model has been created in a way that offers you a smooth operation. These winches come with a 6.6 HP motor, a three-stage planetary gear system, a 500 AMP waterproof IP68 solenoid pack, an optimized gear ratio, and strong synthetic/steel wire rope. The motor on these winches has been completely sealed off from external factors to protect them from deterioration.
Smittybilt Synthetic Rope
The synthetic wire rope is lightweight, compact, and durable to ensure that it will serve you for a long time before you consider investing in another rope. Unlike steel cables, the rope is also not susceptible to rust because of its coating, which also promotes its durability. This winch also comes with a dynamic braking system that provides the winch with additional support and reduces the temperature of the drum by approximately 66%, which in turn promotes the longevity of the winch and increases its reliability.
Smittybilt x20 Winches Capacity
This series offers you different winch capacities to ensure that you can select one that suits you based on the weight of your vehicle. The winches range from 10,000 to 17,500 pounds. Your selection should be based on the load that you will need to pull or lift. Aside from the weight variation, the winches of Smittybilt x20 models also offer you the opportunity to choose between synthetic ropes or steel cables. If you have a bigger vehicle, it would be advisable to choose a winch that supports a maximum load of approximately 15,500 pounds and comes with a steel cable.
Here are few of the smittybilt winches x20 that cover this range.
Smittybilt winch comes with a lifetime warranty, which ensures that the manufacturers can service it whenever you experience mechanical issues with your winch. It also ensures that you will not need to worry in case of any unexpected malfunctions. The Smittybilt X20 series allows you to mount your winch in two different areas depending on your preferences.
Smittybilt Remote Control
The Smittybilt winches of x20 series come with a remote control that enables you to operate the winches from a safe distance. This feature is important especially if you are trapped in a rocky terrain near a cliff. The remote is also magnetic, which allows you to attach it to the bumper or any part of the vehicle where you can easily retrieve it for emergencies. Unlike the Smittybilt XRC series all the winches in this series come with wireless remote control.
Smittybilt Winch Parts
The X20 series has a waterproof rating of IP68 to ensure that you can use your winch during the rain without experiencing any performance challenges. The winch drums used in this series produce less heat, which is an additional advantage for off-road enthusiasts. The winches come with all the extra parts you will need including the synthetic rope or steel cable to eliminate the need for shopping for accessories or spending more money.
- It has a wireless remote control.
- Comes with a 6.6HP amphibious motor
- Comes with a 3-stage planetary gear
- It is fast
- The synthetic and steel ropes offered are durable.
- Easy to install
- It is waterproof
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The solenoid can be difficult to mount.
- The wireless switch may not function properly.
- The models using steel ropes are quite heavy.
Smittybilt x20 98510 Features
- Smittybilt X20 98510 has an amphibious motor with 6.6 horsepower. It stands as one of the market leaders in the winch industry. It is a very reliable and powerful motor that always ensures that your job is well done.
- The Smittybilt X20 winch features a wireless remote control with no more manual operations. You will configure your remote services and avoid getting your hand dirty on a manual job.
- Ensuring real-time and effective Pulling: Smittybilt X20 98510 winch is built with a 3-stage planetary gear system with a 218:1 gear ratio. The minimum this winch can pull is 10000 lbs or 4545 kgs, meaning that you will be getting almost everything done effortlessly.
- Other additional features like automatic out of drum brake, synthetic cable rope, and sliding ring make this winch unique. You will love it from the way it operates and delivers what you want.
- Weight and Dimensions: Its weight also makes it ideal for pulling any average vehicle, as it features a mounting bolt pattern of 10” x 4.5”, with 22.3 x 9.4 x 5.4 in dimension.
- The Smittybilt (98510) X2O has capacity of over 10000 lb
- The winch has three stages planetary gear system.
- Convenient and easy work with a 218:1 gear ration.
- Wireless remote winch operation.
Some customer complains that the Smittybilt x20 98510 winch does not provide the service feature up to the mark. However, being one of the cheapest products and better than others, you are provided with the features you pay for.
Smittybilt XRC Winches
The Smittybilt XRC Series has undergone a series of changes over the years to promote their performance. These winches are popular among people who own 4×4 vehicles and off-road enthusiasts. They are renowned for their strong construction reliability when faced with real-world challenges. Some of the key features that you might notice in the XRC range include a 6.6 HP series wound motor, a solenoid box that may be mounted in three places, and a 2.5 inches drum size. Its horsepower ensures that it offers you quiet performance while handling heavy loads.
Waterproof IP67 Rating
The Smittybilt XRC models also come with a high-quality synthetic rope, which ensures that you will not need to worry about rust or working in the rain. Additionally, these range offers you waterproof winches that are all-weather and can be used effectively in areas with high humidity levels. The general waterproof rating of the XRC series is IP67, which means that these winches are completely sealed from water or humidity damage.
Smittybilt XRC Winches Capacity
Depending on the exact model that you will select from this series, you can opt for a winch that offers you a load capacity that ranges between 9,500 and 17,500 pounds. This wide range ensures that you will get a winch suitable for your vehicle’s weight and the intended workload you wish to perform. The reverse gear ratio on these winches permits a much stronger pulling power that will allow you to retrieve your vehicles from slippery muddy surfaces easily.
Wireless and Non-wireless Remote
The entire winch and its accessories measure approximately 46 pounds, making it easy to carry around. While most winches in this series come with wireless remote control, not all of them will have this feature. Some models such as the 9500 pounds capacity winch come with a non-wireless or corded remote control.
SmittyBilt XRC synthetic Rope and Steel Cable
The Smittybilt XRC series offers you heavy-duty synthetic ropes that are of military-grade. This promotes its durability and functionality. This series allows you to choose the rope size depending on the size of your vehicle and your interests. Some of XRC winches of higher load capacity come with steel cable. It also includes a lifetime warranty that will eliminate the need to worry about mechanical breakdowns. The quality of the ropes ensures that you will not need to contact the manufacturer for repairs.
- Supports large loads
- Made using stainless steel
- Comes with a powerful 6.6HP motor
- Easy to install
- Can be used underwater or in muddy areas
- Has an IP67 waterproof rating
- Uses military-grade synthetic rope
- Comes with a 3-stage planetary gear system
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The electric cable is quite short
- Not all of the winches in the series come with a wireless remote control
Smittybilt XRC 97495 Winch Features
- Meet another amazing from Smittybilt. The Smittybilt 97495 XRC is yet another version of a powerful and reliable winch that features 6.6 HP amphibious motor. It is rated to be among the tops winches by several users due to its 9500 lb load capacity. If you are going on a budget and you are in need of a very reliable winch that will deliver what you want, 97495 XRC is the best choice for you.
- Despite the fact that this winch might be slightly more substantial than others like Smittybilt 98510 X20. It is still comfortable and convenient for you. Its gear ratio of 161.28:1 alongside its three-stage planetary gear system will even enable you to accomplish your job within its ability.
- Another additional advantage is that the winch comes with all the wiring for installation. You don’t need to worry about something to do with setting up the apparatus. All you need to do is unbox the system and sample out equipment for installation – no more hassle.
- Same to Smittybilt 98510 X20 winch. it comes with its remote control system alongside a sliding ring gear clutch, making the operation easy and convenient as opposed to manual operation. More so, the Smittybilt XRC 97495 winch also offers automatic in-drum brakes.
- The winch has a dimension of 22.3” x 5.5” x 9.4”. It is in the same and exact size as Smittybilt 98510 x20.
- The winch is operational with wireless remote control.
- Comes with packed wiring for installation
- It offers a load capacity of up to 9500 lbs.
- Its motor is as powerful as 6.6 HP.
- It features an impressive gear ration of 161.28:1
- IP67 rating waterproof
- Wire Pulling rope
- Corded remote control
- The winch is 100% waterproof.
- Smittybilt XRC 97495 Winch comes with minimal drawbacks. Since it is a cheaper system that can deliver, Its price may be worth the risk.
Factors to Consider When Selecting a Winch
Type of Winch: There are two main types of winches in the market.
1. Electric Winches
This type of winches uses an electric motor to enhance the operation of the winch. An electric winch comes with a permanent magnet motor that is usually lightweight, compact, and effective in generating torque. Smittybilt winches fall in this category. These types of winches are also considered as automatic winches. They are usually mounted to the front of the vehicles or the bumper. That consists of a steel cable that winds around a rotating horizontal metal with a hook that is attached to the free end of the cable.
Smittybilt electric winch uses direct current electricity, which is provided by the vehicle’s electric system. They require a lot of currents to operate especially if you are using them to pull a heavy car. The only issues you might experience while working with an electric winch are overheating and consumptions of the vehicles’ electricity.
- Easy to install
- Easy to transfer to another vehicle
- They are usually fast
- Less noisy
- Uses the vehicle’s electric system
- May not be suitable for heavy loads
2. Hydraulic Winches
Unlike electric winches, hydraulic winches are not powered by electricity. They are usually powered by a hydraulic system and pump. They are more suitable for heavy-duty purposes and are commonly used in boats to move heavy duty machinery.
- Can be used continuously
- Can be complicated to operate
- Difficult to install
- Slow speed when compared to electric winches
3. Type of rope
Check the type of rope before purchasing the winch to ensure that it will last longer. Most winches usually have a synthetic or steel cable. While a synthetic rope is lightweight and easy to handle, steel cables are more durable.
4. Vehicles weight
You should assess the weight of your vehicle to determine whether you will need a heavy-duty winch or light-duty winch. If your vehicles weigh more than 9,000 pounds, buying a winch meant for vehicles below 8,000 pounds would not be beneficial. In this situation, Smittybilt 9500 lb 97495 XRC GEN2 Winch or Smittybilt X20 10000 lb would be the best winch for you.
When buying a winch, check whether the materials used to make the parts are waterproof especially if you plan to use it in muddy terrains.
6. Remote control
A wireless remote control will ensure that you can easily get your vehicles out of muddy or rocky terrains without risking your life.
7. Winch Warranty
Check whether the manufacturer offers you a warranty with your product. Both the Smittybilt X20 and the XRC series come with a lifetime warranty for mechanical problems, which eliminates the need to invest in other winches in case you experience a mechanical issue.
The Smittybilt winches offer you a wide range of winches. When selecting the best winch for your vehicle ensure that you consider factors such as the weight of your vehicles and the intended workload to ensure that you promote the longevity of your winch and avoid mechanical breakdowns.